I felt extremely drawn to the gratitude workshop. I’m just at the beginning but had an interesting revolution and insight about myself.   A concern about gratitude came up evolving around miss use or dysfunctional use of gratitude in my past.  Thought of being pressured into being grateful before I was ready to when dealing with things that concerns me or that I was upset about. I felt that many times in my life I was forced to go to being grateful rather than being honored for where I was presently at in my emotional state.  I generally am a positive person that looks on the bright side of situations. I achieve that by personally allowing myself to be angry and sad and feel the emotions and letting them be there as they are. When I do that I can let them go when they’re done and then move to seeing the positive.  Times when I was forced to be grateful and moved to gratitude before I was done with the less desirable emotions will say I felt devalued and not heard. I did not realize the emotions were attached to gratitude. My other concern about gratitude is that sometimes I have except situation where the presenter being sappy or unauthentic when presenting gratitude as a practice. I would be interested to hear if others have a similar experience around gratitude.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing your reflections on the practice of gratitude Sandra. Like anything, I do think there are practices better suited for particular moments than others. So for instance, sometimes being present with the emotions we are experiencing (i.e. anger, grief, jealousy, etc.) is more called for than to move straight to gratitude practice. It reminds me of the classic scenario when someone is feeling down and another person (often with good intentions!!) jumps in to express all the positives or bright side of the situation. While this person is not wrong, this suggestion to quickly change the lens might not be helpful in allowing the person who is suffering to process their experience.

• Like 1

My thoughts today around it connected to Mindfulness. As we grow in being more mindful we know when we need to take time to process emotions and when it’s time to be grateful. As we grow even more in Mindfulness we can start to  be more understanding of where others are at and support them and their needs as well as where they are at in the process of dealing with emotions. For me mindfulness helps me take a step back and take a breath before responding to others in need.

• Thanks 1