Gillian Florence

What tips might you offer to someone who is new to mindfulness?

This week's question asks:

What tips might you offer to someone who is new to mindfulness?

Consider any mindfulness insights, techniques, or applications that would have been beneficial to you when you first began your journey into mindful presence. What techniques do you wish you would have in the beginning? What misconceptions do you think are worthy of being cleared up early? Share anything that would be of benefit to someone just beginning their mindfulness exploration.

One notion I would offer to someone new to mindfulness would be: "Be kind to yourself in your practice." In the earliest days, I was very judgmental of myself and my practice. I felt that there was something inherently wrong with me because my mind was relentless in its meandering. It was only when I brought self-compassion to my practice that things really opened up for me. 

A few tips I wish I would have known when starting: 

- chill ... its a practice and practice takes a lifetime.

- there is no destination ... we don’t at some point arrive at a finish line to be forever and fully mindful from that point on. We can minimize distraction and reactivity but they come with the experience of existing in a human body with a mind that tends toward wild in an insane culture that exploits the mindlessness it purposefully manufactures.

- when mindlessness is dominating the  personal experience of existing, pause and direct the attention to the edge of the nostrils and the sensations caused by the river of air rhythmically ebbing and flowing thru them. Just sense the ebb and flow until the mind quiets and then return awareness to the practice.

• Thanks 1